Thursday, July 23, 2015

Swoon Thursday # 148 ~ Make It a Double (Last Call #2) by Sawyer Bennett



The fabulous girls over at YA Bound created this super HOT meme.

Here's how it works. From the book you're currently reading, or one you just finished, tell us what made you SWOON. What got your heart pounding, your skin tingling, and your stomach fluttering.

Shout it out on Twitter with the hashtag#YABound, post it here in the comments, or grab the adorable button above and share it on your blog!


* ~ * ~ * ~ *


My Swoon for this week comes from:


Make It a Double
 (Last Call #2)
by
 Sawyer Bennett  


First - The Blurb:


Brody Markham has endured a nightmare, spending the last five years in prison and losing everything that was dear to him. Now he’s back home, trying to survive in a world he doesn’t recognize anymore. While his family and friends desperately try to reach through to him, he shelters himself further and further away from their love.

Alyssa Myers has worked her entire life to distance herself from the luxurious and privileged lifestyle in which she was raised. Running her non-profit agency, The Haven, she is content to spend her days helping abused animals find sanctuary, which fulfills her in a way that money just can’t buy.

Maybe it’s that she recognizes in Brody some of the same characteristics she sees in her homeless wards, but Alyssa is powerless to stop her personal quest to make Brody whole again.

While Brody struggles to surface from the darkness, Alyssa tries to protect her heart in case he’s not willing to accept the light that she offers him.



Second - The Swoon:

I go dizzy with want.
My fingers grip onto her a bit harder and I stare in her eyes, hoping there will be something there that brings me to my senses.
Big mistake. All I see is desire pooled deep, and the last vestige of restraint slips away.
I'm doomed, is what I think, just as I bring my mouth down on hers and pull her in tight, crushing her body to mine.
...Brody


I first met Alyssa and Brody in On The Rocks (Last Call #1). Although they seemed to dislike each other, it quickly became obvious that these two would find a way to overcome their differences. And they did... in Make It A Double.

Alyssa may come from a wealthy back ground but she is far from being a "snotty, rich, bitch, heiress" (Brody's words, not mine). Instead, she is sweet, kind, and when it comes to animals, has a heart of gold. I really liked her and the way she gave Brody a chance to redeem himself after insulting her.

I liked Brody too. Discovering more of his past and how he landed in jail, it was easy to understand why he treated Alyssa the way he did, and why at first, he wanted nothing to do with her. However, thrown together by unexpected circumstances, he soon learns that she is nothing like he assumed, and the animosity he feels is quickly replaced with admiration and friendship.

I enjoyed reading Alyssa and Brody's story. It's  filled with a little bit of angst and a whole lot of emotion. Well worth your time.

My Rating: 4 out of 5


* ~ * ~ * ~ *


Okay, so what do you think?
If you liked my Swoon, please leave a comment below!




5 comments:

  1. A doomed man- I can dig it. Why would he want to stop?

    My Swoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Alyssa! Alyssa's are quite fabulous ;) Get it, girl! :D Excellent swoon choice, ma'am.

    Have a fabulous week Marilyn :)

    Check out my swoon post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... he is doomed! Love it. Glad you are liking this series!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is a great swoon! This is a series I neeeed to read!

    ReplyDelete