Thursday, April 30, 2015

Swoon Thursday #136 ~ Of Silver and Beasts (Goddess Wars #1) by Trisha Wolfe




The fabulous girls over at YA Bound created this super HOT meme.

Here's how it works. From the book you're currently reading, or one you just finished, tell us what made you SWOON. What got your heart pounding, your skin tingling, and your stomach fluttering.

Shout it out on Twitter with the hashtag#YABound, post it here in the comments, or grab the adorable button above and share it on your blog!


* ~ * ~ * ~ *

My Swoon for this week comes from:

Of Silver and Beasts
(Goddess Wars #1)
by
Trisha Wolfe



First - The Blurb:


In the sand-covered queendom of Cavan, the goddess once saved a young Kaliope’s life, preventing the mercury her father attempted to hide in her blood from reaching her heart. Now, a cybernetic clamp filters it, but the silver streaks swirling faintly beneath her skin are a constant reminder that she’s different.

When nineteen-year-old Kaliope is chosen as head of the Nactue Guard, she becomes the sworn protector to her empress. In the midst of an invasion on a neighboring land, Kaliope is placed in charge of guarding Prince Caben, the last heir to his kingdom. But when they’re attacked by the feared Otherworlders, Caben and Kaliope are abducted and taken below to a realm where they must fight for their life in a caged arena. 

Kaliope struggles to protect her princely charge, keeping him and herself alive while battling inhumanly opponents, and trying to save the stolen, sacred relic that will restore her empress’s life force and all of Cavan. And if she can somehow awaken the goddess within her, she may save what’s most important.

New Adult Dark Fantasy: Intended for readers 17 years of age and older.



Second - The Swoon:

Raising a shaky hand, I curl my fingers in his soft hair. Brush the nape of his neck and comb them through. He exhales heavily against my skin, and my stomach tingles at the feel of his hot, caressing breath. His blue eyes meet mine before he turns his head and puts his lips to my suspended wrist. Wrapping his fingers around my forearm, he presses his mouth harder to my skin, working a fiery trail past my cuff and up my arm.

And a little later in the same scene...

He wraps me in his arms, pulling me closer to his chest. My mouth presses against his, motionless, unsure - and he nips my bottom lip with his teeth. I gasp, and his tongue darts inside. Lips parting and closing, his tongue tangling with mine, Caben guides me to match his rhythm. My fear subsides as we steal each other's breath.



Of Silver and Beasts has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while and I had almost forgotten that I had it. Although an entertaining read, it wasn't quite what I expected and it certainly didn't leave me with that Wow! factor. 

The story is slow to start and I found it hard to connect with Kaliope. Sure, she's tough and determined, but I found something in her character lacking. I was also hoping for a little more romance. (The scene above doesn't take place until two thirds of the way in, and when it does happen, it's kind of sudden and there hasn't been a whole lot of romantic lead up).

I wasn't sure what to make of Caben. He's not really a bad-ass, but he's no weakling either. Did I like him? Meh, I could take or leave him.

There's a lot of action in this book and the scenes are very descriptive. If you like high fantasy, then this could be the book for you.  For me, not sure if I'll read the next one in the series.



* ~ * ~ * ~ *


Okay, so what do you think?
If you liked my Swoon, please leave a comment below!


8 comments:

  1. Oh I hate when I don't connect with the main characters. Nice swoon though.

    My Swoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it didn't leave you Wow or that you didn't connect. Hate when that happens. But those where some nice swoons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS ONE! I see you didn't but hey, at least you found a swoon or two that you enjoyed. I have yet to read the sequel... probably need to reread this one first.

    I hope you're doing well, Marilyn!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you gave it a chance. I really enjoyed it, but you know how I like the action!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad the story as a whole left you feeling 'meh', Marilyn. That swoony scene is pretty nice. :) I've been meaning to read this one myself - at least now I'll know what to expect. I hope your current read is dazzling you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had this one on my list for a while and it sounds so good! Sorry this one didn't wow you but that is a nice swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry this one wasn't as great as you thought it would be. I have this book waiting on my shelf too and I fell in love with the cover. I guess I'll just have to read it but I did enjoy your swoon! They are always the best!

    ReplyDelete